I sit here, eyes wide and stinging from staring at the monitor for too long. My restless legs tense and relax quickly, compulsively, as my computer chair rocks back and forth. My heart – is my heart racing? I should calm down for a second and check – relax – focus. No, it seems fine, but it’s definitely beating a little faster than normal. I feel short of breath. Is this anxiety? I think this is anxiety.
Are you seeing this? Five-hundred-and-fifty-games. I haven’t played at least half of them for more than 5 minutes.
As it happens, I’ve stamped myself with the popular, yet humiliating designation of Icon Collector. We’ll define that later. It’s not much comfort, but I know I’m not alone. Hundreds of thousands of Icon Collectors around the world suffer from moderate to severe backlogitis.
Backlogitis Symptom Checker:
Please review the following list, noting any or all that apply to you:
- I own unplayed video games I don’t remember buying.
- I purchase video games (often multiple at once) before starting the last game I bought.
- I deny the inner-logic that compels me to save my money instead of buying a new game.
- I experience extreme anxiety when looking at my Steam games or shelf of disc-based games.
- I often stare at my list of video games, frozen in uncertainty, for extended periods of time, and more often than not, just end up going to bed.
- I have spent more time (in general) looking at my Steam game icons than playing Steam games.
- I have way too many fucking video games.
If you’re on this site, there’s a high probability you are already an Icon Collector with backlogitis. Whether you languish from one, or all seven conditions listed above, I’m sorry, I can’t help you. But maybe I can help myself…
We’re about to embark on a mission with no parameters for success. A journey into uncharted waters. But fear not – this ship has sails, man. Tom and I, over time, are going to play through our entire backlog of games, chronicling the experience from day one, until the end. I have no earthly idea when it will end. Ohgod, that anxiety again….
You will share this thrilling odyssey with us! We will be reporting on our adventures, recording these tales, rich in multimedia (video and other stuff)! And who knows? Perhaps at some point along the long and arduous road, we will become doctors of Backlogology, with a PhD in Backlogtistics and a minor in Backloginomics. Maybe THE BACKLOG CHRONICLES will be all the medicine you need to cure your miserable affliction. Maybe it will inspire you to get some value out of all that money you’ve spent, and stay focused on moving forward.
We’ll post the rules we’ll be following soon. Until then, happy playin’.